Monday, October 4, 2010

Redemption Part 1

It has been a long time since I put my thoughts out for all to see, but tonight there are thoughts and questions rolling around in my head. The confines of my journal seem to small for these thoughts. If I was going to guess (and I do like to take a stab at what is under the wrapping paper of a long awaited gift!), I would have to say that God it trying to teach me something. I am not the oldest of old, but have lived long enough to have realized that when God speaks you should take note.

Redemption is one such thought. I grew up in the church and for my 26 years of life have a good handle on how to come across as a well polished Christian. But the last few months have challenged that polished exterior and I have been thinking as to the truths I have known my whole life. Do I really understand them? Are they something that I have personal revelation or are they a regurgitated thought I once heard and try to pass off as a personal belief?

How does the redeeming work of the cross intersect with the reality of my life? I wake up, drink coffee, get ready, go to work, come home. Where in the course of my day do I come in contact with redemption? Is it a thought or Christian concept that is an idea but not a reality in my world?

I started asking myself the questions, Do I walk in the redeeming power of the cross? Is redemption an idea I believe rather then a truth I walk in? When there is the need to redeem do I take God at His word? To be honest, hard questions for me to ask, being the church girl who should have figured this out years ago...but here I am asking.

John 11:17-37 is the story of Lazarus being raised from the dead. Amazing to me to watch the redeeming power of God grab them from the place of concept to the place of it intersecting with their reality.

More to come on this thought...

No comments: